Wednesday 10 August 2016

Paris • St. Raphael

This summer, I was offered the job of au pairing for a French family living on the outskirts of Paris. As I am hoping to study French this September at University,  I jumped at this amazing opportunity.
For those who have not heard of the term "au pair", it often entails a young student looking after children whilst staying at their house. A bit like a long term babysitter. There are many websites which enable families to find au pairs, such as this site which is very popular. I know many people, including one of my elder cousins, who hires au pairs over summer in order to help around the house and lessen the chore of keeping the children occupied. Before starting my job, one kind friend decided to tell me a horror story of how her parents treated their au pair - like absolute slavery! They would use the young girl to do dirty chores and act like a modern day slave who waited on their every word.
Thankfully,  my family is absolutely lovely. I look after three young boys aged 6, 9 and 12. Being an English au pair, my duties consisted of giving the eldest English lessons once a day (apart from Sunday which is rest day - a break for both parties!). They often let me have breaks from playing with the children, and allow me to go on walks by myself and explore each town. However, I try and spend as much time with the children as possible in order to alleviate the parents' stress as much as I can. Whether it be purposefully losing a race or beating their arses at Uno, I'll be down for it.
As well as benefiting them, this experience is also benefiting me. I'm able to practise day-to-day French for over a month with real French people (wow) who are willing to correct me when I'm wrong, as well as teaching me some "verlan" which is extremely amusing.  I hope that this month will enable be to be that one step ahead of those at uni, whichever it may be. Bring on the 18th.

0 comments:

Post a Comment