Monday 4 February 2019

Second Term, Third Year


As I fly over the English Channel on my way to Spain, I take a look back on my life these past few years. I remember that when I was younger, I always dreamt of being able to travel extensively. I would follow all these celebrities who jetted off from one destination to another, wishing that that would one day be me.

My lifestyle has drastically changed since going to university. Not only do I feel that I have matured a lot, but the independence that I have gained from leaving the protection of my family cocoon appears significant. Whilst I am still a Daddy’s Little Girl, I’ve moved away from that timid, sheltered girl I used to be, and I am very grateful for this transgression. I find that I am forming my own judgements, questioning conventions and challenging authorities, and rather than this deriving from my previous teenage rebellion, I find that it is just another sign of my ability to think independently.

Through daily journaling, I have come to the conclusion that some of the greatest experiences that I have acquired have been because I did not follow protocol. One of my earliest jobs was gained through me going up to the CEO of Enterprise and Skills Challenge and offering up my language skills. It was a move that I was nervous about, undoubtedly - I was 17 at the time. However, I couldn’t dwell on this sensation for long as there were only few split seconds before she got off the school’s podium and moved to the school’s office. I knew that if I wanted to talk, I had to do it then. A month later, I found myself giving a speech to 60+ secondary students in London, encouraging them to pick up a language. 

In a way, that job was my first step towards independent travelling. The company would drive me to different destinations around the country and I got a taste for living independently. I saw places with a new, adult gaze, and sought to be curious about everything. I learnt to become responsible for myself, too, not needing the assistance of mum and dad as much. Travelling with the company meant learning to time manage my academic life around my work life, as well as any social commitments that I had. The Bank of Mum and Dad also was less necessary, as my bank account came to be sufficient for me to buy any trivial — that caught my fancy. This, as it comes to be, included travelling.


As I land in Malaga ready for the second term of my year abroad, I am served a cocktail of nerves, anxiety and apprehension. The overbearing uncertainty of the future is always something which has sent me into a frenzy before any grand new change in my life. However, I need to remind myself to check in with myself - I’m going to be spending the next five months of my life living in the South of Spain, a few minutes away from the beach, and with endless opportunities ahead of me. This is the life that I wanted and that manifested for myself, and for this opportunity, I am forever grateful.

Yours,


0 comments:

Post a Comment